Monday, October 10, 2011

Not in alinement: Requests & Answers

Not in alinement: Requests & Answers



Today’s reading: Luke 17 NASB
SCRIPTURE
As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. As he entered a village there, ten lepers stood at a distance, crying out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy.” Luke 17:11-14

OBSERVATION
Has God ever asked you to do something and you refused to do it out of fear, insecurity, or whatever “logical” justification you could muster up? Or, have you ever made a request to God and when you discovered that His answer required you to do something illogical, uncomfortable, or difficult you gave up because it didn’t make sense or was just too inconvenient? I’ve definitely been there before. Jesus was on an important mission headed toward Jerusalem, and along the way he was interrupted by the shouts of 10 men. These men weren’t requesting food, or water, or clothes but a rather strange request of mercy. Upon closer inspection, it was obvious that these men had leprosy, a terrible disease, and were crying out for healing. Now, I would wager to say that they didn’t expect the response that was to come, for more reasons than one, but immediately Jesus looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” Huh? He didn’t say you’re healed, he didn’t say your sins are forgiven, and he didn’t cast out any demons. He simply directed them to see the priests. Can you imagine what they must have been thinking? “See the priests? A lot of good that will do us! We’ve already seen the priest, the doctor, and the healers, and no one has been able to help. I guess He’s not as powerful as we thought.” I’m not sure they reacted as I would have, but what I do know is that all 10 chose to listen and obey. At Jesus’ word, they turned and went, and “as they went”, they were all healed. His request seemed completely illogical, going against common sense and reason. They needed healing, and they were directed to visit their pastor? Does that seem difficult to swallow for anyone else? The fact remains that as they went, as they obeyed, as they stepped out in trust and faith they were cleansed. I’m sure Jesus’ initial response wasn’t what the 10 wanted, or even expected, but rather than grumbling, arguing, or getting frustrated, they chose to obey and would never be the same.

APPLICATION
How many times have I made a request of God and when the answer didn’t meet my hope or expectation I got mad and gave up? It’s scary to think how many times God’s power and release were waiting just around the corner, but my lack of obedience caused me to forfeit the outpouring. The Divine miracle of healing came when the 10 coupled their faith with action. They chose compliance over complaining and submission over sniveling, and their lives were changed in an instant. The power, the authority, and the compassion of Jesus were revealed to those that believed and yielded to His command. Today I will choose to step out in faith, obedience, and gratitude, as I respond to His love.


PRAYER
Lord, I praise you for your power and goodness to those that walk in faith. I ask that you would help me to listen and obey that I might grow in my knowledge and love of you. Help me to step out in faith regardless of the request or the cost that my life might glorify you. - Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment