Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I press on.... for what?


I PRESS ON!
Endurance, perseverance, overcoming.... for WHAT?!!!? 

“I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has laid hold of me.” - Philippians 3:12 (NASB)
Let’s jump and go terminology and then ask a few questions“I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has laid hold of me.”  
Let’s go Philippians 3:1-11 (NIV) and establish some textual background: “1 Further, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you. 2 Watch out for those dogs, those evildoers, those mutilators of the flesh. 3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh— 4 though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. 7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.”
Okay, here in chapter 3 we can clearly see that Paul is sending counsel regarding spiritual adversaries among the Philippians (3.1-21).  He then provides receipt of both Epaphroditus' heroism (3.25-30), along with his promise of a divine accounting (4.17-20).  
According to the text, what has Jesus “laid hold of”?  What is the author (Paul) attempting to “lay hold of”?
Hmmm... Is a portion of my answer found within this concept ‘confidence in the flesh’?  How would I define, ‘confidence in the flesh’? 
‘Confidence in the flesh’ is what happens, when I rest on past achievements. When what I’ve done at one time becomes our grounds of boasting: an experience I’ve gone through, that others didn't have . . . an award I’ve won . . . an honor I’ve had. To rest on past achievements represents confidence in the flesh.  Another perspective would saying that, ‘confidence in the flesh’ is what happens, when men claim they are good and right because of their connections: blood connections; who I know; who I’m associated with, or my title.... 
.... confidence is also something God wants us to have - so where is the balance?  
If God allows me experience victories, receive awards, and surround me with amazing individuals - adding depth to my personal confidence - is this not a great (GOD) thing?  Hmm.... Can I say, confidence solely stands on 'who I am, what I've done, etc...' will fail!  A 'confidence' that is bigger than myself... in God is more sustainable...    
Wow, this really does ties into my personal DNA and confidence.  Can I conclude that one area Jesus ‘laid hold of’ is was Paul’s confidence?  AKA: My desires to also laid hold of my confidence?  If that’s true then I can also conclude that as place my confidence in Him (aka. learn to trust Him) -  God will revile His design / created purpose for my life?  Hmm..... ..... How does my confidence daily roll out / transfer into my relationship with Christ? trust.... obedience... perception.... action/reaction.... faith.... 
APPLICATION =A:
A-First a personal question: 
“Where is my confidence founded?"
My family name, experiences I’ve gone through, accomplishments, honors, achievements, who I know.... .... my failures, shortcomings, countless mistakes I’ve made.... .... things I’ve persevered, my endurance.... .....  hmm.... each of these have shaped and formed me into who I am today - each victory, failure, 
A = I need to keep my mind, heart, and emotions connected to God.  Keeping in mind that I am not simply called to stroll through this life simply being a good person, but to preach the gospel at all times - and when necessary to use words.
Bottom line: I need to place my FULL confidence in God’s word / ways.
PRAYER 
God I’m reminded of Proverbs 3:5-6. “TRUST in YOU with all my heart and NOT lean on my own understandingIn all my ways HELP me acknowledge YOU, (TRUSTING) YOU will make your paths straight.”  I have to many lingering questions: ‘what if I don’t hear YOU correctly?’ ‘what if I fail and it impact my family deeply?’ etc... .... God, I do doubt and lingering questions.  Mark 9:24 states, "Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” God help me overcome my unbelief- Trevor



youR thoughtS?

Blog's:

No comments:

Post a Comment