Monday, July 9, 2012

TRAPPED by MY OWN BARRIERS


There's a noticeable phenomenon that I see, over and over again, in people trying to achieve great things, to rise to a status they had not previously inhabited.Sometimes...there is a tendency from deep within..to 'self-sabotage'. 

Why?
In order for me to ask this question I feel I must first answer it as I continue to fight this battle within my mind.

Somehow, we all get accustomed to living with the set of circumstances or position in our live and level at our jobs, that we are most familiar with, and 'breaking out' seems a bit...well...uncomfortable.... 
Why?
For me.... I tend to envision myself from a past viewpoint.  A small town guy, person who considers himself often under equipped and not skill... 'not smart enough.... to be successful.... to make an impact.... 
I've even read that people who win the lottery, in some cases, if they are from the type of background that is unfamiliar with managing large amounts of money/growing wealth...tend to 'spend themselves' back to the financial level they were accustomed to...and typically, that is, a lower level. 
Do we do limit ourselves, when it comes to our dreams, desires, and aspirations?

If so, to all that, let me just say....IT’S A HARD ROAD AND TAKES TIME!
We absolutely find away to break away from these self-images that keep us in a place where we don't wish to be, and that is, unsuccessful.
How?
Here’s where I am asking each person to actually think of themselves as EVERY BIT AS ABLE as those whose success level is already established. 
I am not saying that *every* individual possesses the same amount of talent, because, indeed, that is not true. 
Certainly there are those whose level of intuitive leading, pastoring, and caring for others that are naturally talented - it’s really a 'gift'; and if, to that, they add a lot of study, honing the craft, and hours and hours of refining, they cannot help but become truly great. 
Then, there are those who are *not* noticeably gifted, but really enjoy this journey of leadership development, pastoring, and seek to become better, via the same paths mentioned above. 
Then, I've found, there are some who not gifted, but are truly 'out of touch' with the reality what it takes to succeed, compete, and achieve in the areas they desire to.

So, that said, it's a given we're not all starting from the same beginning point. 
Now, let's move on to the next thought -- we've acknowledged that everyone is not equally gifted and talented. 
Beyond that, let's seek to address the answers to the questions: 
WHY NOT ME? 
In terms of 'why should I - I - I - me - me - me be the one that finds great success and fulfillment in leadership, pastoring, and caring for others?

Typically when we ask a question like that, we see it as a positive energizer, as 'hey, why shouldn't I?!... find success?" 
Let's turn that around and look at it from the negative, as in "What are the real reasons which may genuinely keep me from becoming successful?"
 Let's look at WHY NOT ME? from the negative side, and then see if we can fix those negatives. 
Then, from there, let's JUMP OVER those mental hurdles and negative self-images which may be keeping us from flying high into the world of songwriting success.

YOU MUST AQUIRE ADDITIONAL SKILLS! 
If you're not willing to learn, attend seminars, online instruction, whatever it takes...there's the reason WHY...NOT YOU.
YOU MUST REFINE, POLISH, AND IMPROVE YOUR TALENTS! 
If you're not willing admit you have growth and learn, attend seminars, online instruction, whatever it takes...there's another reason WHY...NOT YOU.

YOU MUST PRACTICE THINKING OF YOURSELF AS A PERSONAL OF SUCCESSFUL! 
Envision it, dream it, think about it, get accustomed to *viewing yourself* as this successful, talented, sought-after person. If you don't think you are, who else will?
This was HUGE for me: Start viewing it’s POSSIBLE for me verses IMPOSSIBLE..... 
How?
Simply separate the word: 
Step 1 for me: 
IMPOSSIBLE 
to 
I’M POSSIBLE

YOU MUST SHOW UP FOR INDUSTRY EVENTS! 
Getting your face and your talents in front of the 'industry crowd' is very, very important. 
If they don't know you, why should they believe in you?
Come as you are.... at the level your at!  Don’t try to be at a level your not or someone / something your not!!!!

YOU MUST NURTURE THE PERSONALITY/ABILITY TO COLLABORATE with others industry leaders! 
This is an important advantage, as most often, two heads, or more, are better than one. 
Many times, it's true that extremely talented people, who absolutely do not have the personality to 'get along' with others in the business...just won't make it. You'd think the work or level of talent would be enough, wouldn't you? I've found that not to be so. I've found that people with *people skills* and a pleasant personality...typically do better and go farther. Go figure!

Now...these are but a *few* of the real reasons you MAY NOT BE as successful as you wish...these may be the REAL ANSWERS to the question I always pose, which is WHY NOT ME???

Ya, there's MORE... 
More questions.... more possible solutions....
But I like to KEEP IT SIMPLE (KIS) and by MAKING IT SEXY / attainable.
Don't let YOUR OWN HANG-UPS about "I'm just so-and-so from a small town in wherever...I can't be famous!" get the best of you. You may be extraordinarily talented, and we may never know it, because of the mental games and tricks that you are playing on yourself...most likely inadvertently.

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! 
You can do it. 
Everyone has came from somewhere and has overcome various things so WHY NOT YOU?
Here’s to getting out there and overcoming our own mental barriers to success!  
And when you fall.... feel discouraged.... know that’s life and you can start again!



No comments:

Post a Comment