Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Challenges With Being A EPIC Giver


My Challenges With Being A EPIC Giver are sometimes ever consuming!



Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” -2 Corinthians 9:7

Observation
The context is a firm but gracious reminder by Paul to the Christians in Corinth to fulfill their promise to give to the poor and needy in Jerusalem. Paul points them to their love and submission to Jesus and HIs good news, recognizing the grace of God upon them. Paul is intentional about connecting their Christianity to the centrality of Jesus - His grace, and gospel.

Application
I’ve been hearing about churches pushing giving, tithing, offerings - from friends.  Articles have been published about tithing and churches running as a profit businesses. The financial pressures are high for many churches, businesses, families, and people - to make ends meet, pay off debt accrued, rent, utilities - not to mention just having some extra spending money for a little pleasure. I know of people even going into debt - to pay a tithe, give offerings through their credit card as they feel emotionally pressured by the church - Lord Help us! 

I’m convicted and challenged to teach New Testament giving - that God is able to make all grace abound toward us. Not to be givers out of guilt, compulsion or the needs of the church, ministry, poor, needy. Grateful for all that Christ has done, is doing, and well do. This heart posture and mindset is what I desire to have, when I give to God - not unto the “church or man.” Whatever I decide in my heart may very well be the will of God, as I give with a grateful, generous, cheerful heart.... otherwise - should I be giving? 

That’s not an excuse for me NOT GIVING as sometimes I need to be obedient - only I can determine that. For me it comes down to my personal trust and confidence in God - mixed with my personal perception of wisdom :-).  In Andy Stanley’s book Deep & Wide he says, “Confidence in God - that God is who he says he is and that he will do what he has promised to do.  As trust or faith, is at the center of every healthy relationship - as trust or your faith in someone goes, so goes the relationship.... Sin was introduced to the world through a choice not to trust (God’s word).... The entire Old Testament is the story of God saying, “Trust me.”  At the cross, sin was forgiven and we were invited to trust.  It makes perfect sense that salvation comes by faith, not obedience.  Walking by faith, is simply living as if God is who he says he is and that he will do everything he has promised to do.  As a person’s confidence in God grows, he or she’s” grows into a genuine growing relationships with Jesus Christ.    

I need to correct my heart. The Lord knows the motives of my heart and I need to be transparent before Him.  

Prayer 
Lord Help me to be a generous, grateful and joyous giver… unto YOU!! May my giving not be because of compulsion, need, guilt, pleasing man, looking good or any other evil motive. I want to be a reflection of You, giving as unto You, with a worshipful and grateful heart. -Trevor

Share your thoughts with me.

Check out my blog’s:

Web Connections
www.drinenfamily.org

No comments:

Post a Comment