Tuesday, June 4, 2013

#Reality: Shattered Then Restored - A Short Devotional Journal Entry

#Reality: Shattered Then Restored - A Short Devotional Journal Entry

“God, you have rejected us shattered us.  You’ve been so angry.  Now restore us! You’ve made the ground quake, splitting it open.  Now repair its cracks because is’t shaking apart!  You’ve made your people suffer hardship; you’ve given us wine and we stagger.... you have rejected us, God, haven’t you?  With God we will triumph; he’s the one who will trample our adversaries.” -Psalm 60:1-3 / 10 & 12


Something internally resinates, as I find my head nodding in agreement with the psalmist words.  I can relate to David’s feelings as he expresses himself in Psalm 60 saying, “God, you have rejected us shattered us.  You’ve been so angry.  Now restore us!” I’ve wondered where God is!  I’ve felt abandoned, isolated, and alone - distance from God.  I’ve also been angry, frustrated, and like David bust out with angry verbally demanding that God make things right - “Now restore us!”

And in the midst of my frustration, anger, uncertainty, and feeling abandon - like the writer of this Psalm David my eyes have been open to the hurt, turmoil, and destruction around me - You’ve made the ground quake, splitting it open.  Now repair its cracks because is’t shaking apart!  You’ve made your people suffer hardship; you’ve given us wine and we stagger....  .... which honestly leaves me questioning and yelling the same words David did.... “you have rejected us, God, haven’t you?”

It’s here as I pause.... be still... and needing to remind myself that my relationship with God is similar my relationships with family and friends.  I also find myself needing to follow Jesus’ example when encountering like life circumstances.  I need to step back from being immersed, submerged, or feeling overwhelmed by both my emotions and circumstances - I need to find a place where my mind and emotions can be calmed and attempt to connect with God.  

Why? 
Because as David transparently portrays both this emotions and the reality in which he was living.... God allows us to experience hardships to the point of feeling, “rejected us shattered us.  You’ve been so angry.”  Yet, if that is true we must also hold fast to another true characteristic of God - God is a restorer.... .... .... in time.... through hard work.... He is a restorer.... 

“With God we will triumph; he’s the one who will trample our adversaries.” - Psalm 60:12

Prayer 
You’re God and I am not.  I am saved by Your extension of grace and unmerited favor.  If you’ve saved me from something my hope and trust is that you’ve also saved me for something.  Since grace is not something I can attain or possess - I wrestle with questions, reality, and fully trusting in you.... but that’s where genuine interactive faith happens most for me.... in other words - thank you God for not being a religious idol or silent intently - thank you for desiring interaction.  Please help me today to listen, interact, and act.  Once again I acknowledge your ways are higher than mine and the need to remain a learner at you feet by daily coming to you.  For I’ve / we’ve received grace through God’s accomplishments - through the actions carried out in Jesus Christ and God has created me / us to do good things as I / we daily live our lives out!  -Trevor

Share your thoughts with me.
trevord@nhww.org
Check out my blog’s:

Web Connections

No comments:

Post a Comment