Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A lesson on discouragement...

A lesson on discouragement....
9 Moses reported this to the Israelites, but they did not listen to him because of their discouragement and harsh labor. 10 Then the LORD said to Moses, 11 “Go, tell Pharaoh king of Egypt to let the Israelites go out of his country.” 12 But Moses said to the LORD, “If the Israelites will not listen to me, why would Pharaoh listen to me, since I speak with faltering lips?” Exodus 6:9-12 NASB

OBSERVATION
Man, if I was an Israelite under the oppression of Egypt for YEARS... ya, I’d be discouraged.... maybe even to the point of serve depression!  Hmm... discouragement seems to be a disease unique to human beings -- especially, those who have been oppressed for an extended period of time like the Israelites in Exodus 6.... eventually everyone gets it - even those doing good things. I’ve battled with various levels of discouragement within my life and in my career.  

Okay let’s take things back to the text and ask some questions: First, what are some things that have caused discouragement here in Exodus 6 and in my life?

Cause - Oppression: When others exercise their authority in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner I’m candidate to experience discouragement. For me this state of being oppressed, and the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse conditions, and anxiety.

Cause - Fatigue: When I’m oppressed, I’m a prime candidate to be infected with discouragement. My defenses are lowered and things can seem bleaker than they really are. This often occurs when I’m halfway through a major project and I’m tired.

Cause - Frustration: When unfinished tasks pile up, it's natural to feel overwhelmed. And when trivial matters or the unexpected interrupt me and prevent me from accomplishing what I really need to do, my frustration can easily produce discouragement.

Cause - Failure: Sometimes, my best laid plans fall apart -- the project collapses -- the deal falls through -- no one shows up to the event. How do I react? Self-pity? Blame others? As one man said, "Just when I think I can makes ends meet -- somebody moves the ends! That's discouraging!

Cause - Fear: Fear is behind more discouragement than I'd like to admit. The fear of criticism (What will they think?); the fear of responsibility (What if I can't handle this?); and the fear of failure (What if I blow it?) can cause a major onset of the blues.
What are some cures for discouragement?

APPLICATION 
Let’s go Nehemiah 4 and see what he taught about defeating discouragement in the midst of facings multiple causes:  Rest. If I need a break -- I need to take one! I’m more effective when I return to work. If I’m burning the candle at both ends, I’m not as bright as I think! Sometimes I need to reorganize my life - discouragement doesn't necessarily mean I’m doing the wrong thing. It may just be that I’m doing the right thing in the wrong way. My personality requires me to try a new approach - shake things up a little. Remember God will HELP - if I ask Him. He can give me new energy. Theres incredible motivating power in faith. Today I need to resist discouragement - fight back! No one is forcing my to feel bad. Hang on! Do what's right in spite of mt feelings. No feeling lasts forever.
PRAYER 
God, awaken my heart to the reality that YOU really do meet me where I’m at.  Holy Spirit open up my heart to Jesus Christ!  Make YOUR desires mine.... transform my heart.... transform my mind..... Thank You for faith, grace, and Your mercy - I’ve done nothing to deserve anything and You’ve extended me everything - Thank you - Thank you for really hearing my hearts cry!  Although, I don’t understand Your timing - Thank you for being faithful. Help me walk in faith in the midst of my current reality! Trevor



Share your thoughts with me.

Check out my blog’s:

Web Connections

No comments:

Post a Comment