Thursday, March 28, 2013

Does following Christ bring Freedom or Bondage? Pt2



“Christ has set us free! This means we are really free. Now hold on to your freedom and don't ever become slaves of the Law again.    I, Paul, promise you that Christ won't do you any good if you get circumcised.  If you do, you must obey the whole Law.  And if you try to please God by obeying the Law, you have cut yourself off from Christ and his gift of undeserved grace.  But the Spirit makes us sure God will accept us because of our faith in Christ.  If you are a follower of Christ Jesus, it makes no difference whether you are circumcised or not. All that matters is your faith that makes you love others.” -(Galatians 5:1-6 CEV)

Observation & Application
Why has a relationship with Jesus set me free from the Old Testament laws & regulations? For what purpose?  According to Galatians 4:21-31 & 5:1-6.  So that, I am can live in true freedom.... to truly be free.... to follow Him and develop a genuine relationship with Him free from burdensome laws & regulations.

So then how do I define freedom and how does the New Testament define freedom?  Why, I am asking?  
Because if Christ came with the intention of setting people free from institutionalization, from an empire of rules & regulations, and from personal captivity to the Old Testament law - then how does Jesus define freedom and how does He guide me to live in that freedom?  

Okay, let’s jump back into the text and go Galatians 5:13-18,
13 For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters.  But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature.  Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. 14 For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out!  Beware of destroying one another.”
16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives.  Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants.  And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires.  Theses two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. 18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses (Old Testament Law or Commands).”

Along this understanding, can I correctly concluded the following:
  • This biblical concept of freedom that the book of Galatians is encouraging me towards allows me to choose anything!
  • Galatians 5:13 shoots up a personal warning flair to me saying, “But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature” A) So what does it mean to “satisfy my sinful nature”? B) What does a life following the Holy Spirits guidance look like?
    • A) Galatians 5:19-21 tells me what happens when I follow my sinful natures desires (read Gal. 5:19-21)
    • B) Galatians 5:22-23 describes to me the results of following the Holy Spirits guidance (read Gal. 5:19-21)
  • Freedom should be used to benefit others as well as myself.
  • True freedom comes from choosing to following the Holy Spirit’s guidance.  But what does that look like?
    • verse 17 touches on this telling me, “The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants.  And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires.  Theses two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.” AKA / My wording: My sinful nature wants to step on others and have sex with who ever, but my sub-conscience often quietly warns me not to go down those paths because of the hurt and pain it will cause myself and others.... bottom line: it’s an internal and often mental battle followed by a choice.

Prayer 
Freedom came at a HIGH price therefore I need to make sure that I don’t abuse the freedom I have been given. Help me choose to nail the passions and desires of my sinful nature to the Cross so that they are crucified and I can overcome.  Help me learn and choose to following the Holy Spirit’s guidance in every part of my life. Help me not become conceited, or provoke others, or be jealous of others.... .... overwhelmed.... and speechless - Trevor



Online at:

1 comment:

  1. Great article Trevor! One of my favorite verses with this subject is 1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything."

    Thanks for sharing!

    Much Love,
    Chris Antonelli
    Website: http://www.bistrostyle.com

    ReplyDelete