Monday, December 19, 2011

Remembering Past Trails, Perseverance, & His Promise.

Today’s reading: Hebrew 10 NASB
SCRIPTURE 
“You suffered along with those who were thrown into jail, and when all you owned was taken from you, you accepted it with joy. You knew there were better things waiting for you that will last forever. So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised.” Hebrews 10:34-36 NASB

OBSERVATION
Have you ever prayed for something, whether it be a family member’s salvation or a change in a situation, for weeks, months, or even years to seeminglyhear no answer, to see no divine move, and to feel no peace? The fervor you once prayed with begins to dwindle, as your faith begins to sink. Your passion and trust begin to die with each passing day, and the voices of doubt and giving up have gone from a whisper to a shout. It’s in these moments that we must remember our past trails, return to God’s word and daily obedience - moving forward in endurance, and holding fast to His promise (a hope before us). The author of Hebrews has laid out the promises and faithfulness of God, he has displayed his superiority to all that has been taught before, and he has laid a foundation for the listener’s faith. Having revealed the Truth, the author then exhorts the people of God to remember and rejoice that they might continue to patiently endure the trials before them. He encourages them to stand strong in faith and hope, knowing that God’s love is steadfast and his promises are assured. He says, Remember those times you suffered, when you were thrown in jail and everything was taken from you? Do you remember how you gladly accepted those times in joy, knowing that God had a plan and better things awaited you, eternal things. Return to that trust in God, remember His promises, and rejoice in your present trials, as your eyes are fixed on the eternal. Do these things that you might be filled with the patient endurance that you need now, so that you might not stray from the path and plan He has you on.
     
APPLICATION
This is one of those, “easier said then done” God!

I know this. I know the right answers, and know what I’m supposed to do, but in all honesty, I just don’t want to a times. I know I’m supposed to have joy in the midst of the storm, I know I’m supposed to find love in the midst of the loneliness, I know that I’m supposed to be grateful for what He has granted, but finding the strength can seem like mission impossible. So God what’s one key - what’s are some baby steps that I can win at.... in the midst of feeling worn down…..

Return to God’s Word in obedience, return to cultivating a genuine relationship with Him, return to genuine prayer.
Remember Jesus’ love that pursues me, remember His grace that forgave me, remember He has given me the faith to believe, and remember His faithfulness through previous struggles, and remember how He has never let you down (Yes, I’ve felt as if I was left hanging out to dry, but God came through in His time.).
Persevere: Seek, question, rediscover, rewrite, resolve, etc...  perseverance pays off.

As I return to God’s Word in obedience - persevering through times of doubt / difficulty - then I’m truly transformed by God’s ways.  Wow, it’s as if God uses difficult times to fine tune my life.  When then do I complain, grumble, and cry about difficult time?  Bottom line: I don’t like them but today see that trails have a purpose.

As I choose return to His ways (obedience), and as I choose to remember God’s goodness, He will strengthen me with the patient endurance to make it though. So often I want endurance, but we are unwilling to take the time and effort to remember I asked for it.

What would be your life application to this text?

No comments:

Post a Comment