Saturday, January 28, 2012

Schooled by the UNSCHOOLED!

Schooled by the UNSCHOOLED!

“11Jesus is “‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.’ 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” 13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. 14 But since they could see the man who had been healed standing there with them, there was nothing they could say.” Acts 4:11-14 NASB

OBSERVATION
I love reading Acts 4:13 as I find it inspiring and comical.  Let’s re-look at Acts 4:13. “When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.” In other words, when those that were schooled saw the courage of Peter and John they realized that these two men were unschooled, ordinary men, they were amazed and took note who they hung out with.... ....  ....So, what about Peter and John made the bi-standers come to the conclusion they did? 

According to the text it was something they saw.... ..... it was, “courage!”  Okay, let’s pause and go Wikipedia: “Courage (also bravery, boldness, fearlessness, mettle, fortitude, or intrepidity) is the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation. Courage is acting in spite of fear. "Physical courage" is courage in the face of physical pain, hardship, death, or threat of death, while "moral courage" is the ability to act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal, or discouragement.”

Peter and John’s ability to respectfully stand face to face before others while feeling the weight of social intimidation and fear.... ..... was and is something to take note of.  How did the bi-standers link their courage to them being unschooled?  In the midst of my questions I find myself chuckling and being INSPIRED!!!!

Hmm.... .... Even education has it’s boundaries of teaching certain things.  Peter and John were schooled by Jesus and the bi-standers were astonished their action.  Oh’ to be schooled by Jesus.... .... to do life while walking alongside Jesus.... learning from him.... .... watching his actions and reactions.... .... now there’s something to observe! 

APPLICATION
Their unprecedented courage came from doing life alongside Jesus.  So, what was Peter and John viewpoint on Jesus?   Let’s go verse 11, “11Jesus is “‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.’ 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
Courage + passion = a contagious faith in the midst of reality only comes from spending time with Jesus!
Let’s go one step deeper.  Courage, passion, and a contagious faith come from knowing / being with Jesus - okay!  Let’s go salvation.... According to the text salvation comes from Jesus.  So, what then does it mean to be saved?

PRAYER
God, help unSCHOOL my mind and help me make time to learn from You daily!  Awaken my heart to the reality that YOU really do meet me where I’m at.  Open my mind and heart to YOUR salvation. Please increase my passion for YOU and YOUR desire.... transform my heart.... add to my character.... transform my mind..... add depth to who I am through YOU. Help me UNLEARN the things that hold me back and move forward with the courage, passion, and heart Peter and John held fast to via knowing YOU.- Trevor

Thoughts?
email me: webservices@drinenfamily.org

No comments:

Post a Comment