Friday, February 10, 2012

BRING IT! Strength translates to growth.

BRING IT! 

Strength translates to growth.

SCRIPTURE 
“the churches were strengthened in the faith and grew daily in numbers.” Acts 16:5 NASB

OBSERVATION
Here is Acts 16 we see the initial impact of the gospel in Asia Minor and Paul’s second missions trip.  We must not forgot everything that occurred up to this point.
Brief timeline review (f/wikipedia):
  • Jesus Resurrection appearances (1:3), Great Commission (1:4–8), Second Coming Prophecy (1:10–11), Matthias replaced Judas (1:12–26), and the Upper Room (1:13).
  • Holy Spirit came at Pentecost (2).
  • Peter healed a crippled beggar (3:1–10), and his speech at the Temple (3:11–26)
  • Peter and John before the Sanhedrin (4:1–22), Resurrection of the dead (4:2), Believers' Prayer (4:23–31), Everything is shared (4:32–37)
  • Ananias and Sapphira (5:1–11), Signs and Wonders (5:12–16), Apostles before the Sanhedrin (5:17–42).
  • Seven Greeks appointed (6:1–7), Saint Stephen before the Sanhedrin (6:8–7:60)
  • Moses was educated in all the wisdom of the Egyptians " (7:22), First mentioning of Saul (St.Paul) in the Bible (7:58).
  • Saul persecuted the Church of Jerusalem (8:1–3), Philip the Evangelist (8:4–40), Ethiopian eunuch (8:26–39).
  • Conversion of Saul (9:1–31, 22:1–22, 26:9–24), Peter healed Aeneas and raised Tabitha from the dead (9:32–43).
  • Conversion of Cornelius (10:1–8, 24–48), Peter's vision of a sheet with animals (10:9–23, 11:1–18)
  • Church of Antioch founded (11:19–30), term "Christian" first used 11:26
  • Saint James the Great executed (12:1–2), Peter's rescue from prison (12:3–19), Death of Herod Agrippa I [in 44] (12:20–25)
  • Mission of Barnabas and Saul (13–14), "Saul, who was also known as Paul" 13:9, called "gods ... in human form" 14:11
  • Council of Jerusalem (15:1–35)
  • Paul separated from Barnabas (15:36–41)
Let’s go Acts 16. Paul, Timothy, and Silas traveled from town to town strengthening those in the faith and the church was growing numerically.  Is it really that simple? If people are strengthened in the faith would the church daily grow in numbers? Numerical growth is something most churches long for but is it the ultimate target?  Some say that “numerical growth” is a measuring stick of church health; while, others state, “we must focus on quality over quantity.” Is it possible to achieve both?  According to Acts 16:5... It is possible!!!! 

A church can grow daily in numbers if people are strengthened in their faith daily.  How are individual’s strengthened in their faith; so that, they cause numerical growth in the church? Hmm... let’s take things back to Jesus’ life and find an application.

APPLICATION =A:
How are people strengthened in the faith?  How do individual’s develop a genuine growing relationship with Him?

“37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40

  • A:-Time with Him: Reading, interactive writing/prayer (asking questions, wrestling with ideas, sharing frustrations, depression, and victories), worship (being grateful to the point of an outward expression), etc...
  • A:-Obedience or application to His ways even if I don’t completely understand. (Obedience equals love).
  • A:-I need to freely extend to others all that Christ has extended to me.  AKA: Mercy, patience, forgiveness, etc... ... God truly accepts me where I at and how I am.... “loving your neighbor as yourself” therefore comes out of an overflow of loving Him, caring for myself - this enabling me to REALLY genuinely care for others.  Loving Him, loving myself, and loving others all interconnect!
“18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20

  • A:-Making disciples is deeply interconnected with Matthew 22:37-40.  Jesus asks me to be a full on participant; however, it all is connected back to loving HIM.  How does He ask me to be a participant? Interact with Him, applying His timeless truths for my own life, caring for others so much that I share His goodness through my example / words and then back it up with genuine care (aka: discipleship. aka: doing life alongside them).  Hmmm..... It’s really not a one time - rase my hand thing with You - is it Jesus? (lol :-)
“6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.” 1 Corinthians 3:6-10

  • A:-I read a book awhile back titled, “Let go of the Ring” by Ralph Moore.  Ralph challenged me with a single phrase “let go and let Him.” Hmmm.... as much as I want the best for those in my life I ultimately can not control the outcome.... .... as much as I desire to take credit for the spiritual growth of certain people I can not according to 1 Corinthians 3:6-10.... “only God, makes things grow.”  Let’s dig down a bit deeper and ask another question: Who give me the faith to believe?  Wow, even the faith to believe comes from Him!  So, in His mercy He extended to me the gift of faith to believe in Him!  
“8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.” Ephesians 2:5-9

PRAYER
God, thanks for speaking straight to me!  YOUR affection for me is based on Christ and what Christ has done. My trust needs to be in that and that alone... and not in what I have done or could possibly do for you.  So often I want to put up the numbers.... .... once again.... help me place my hope and trust in Your ways - help me continue to plant, water, and keep my hand to the plow.  God, You bring the growth for all things and deserve the credit!!!! Ya, this means I need to give credit where credit is do... to YOU... at times there’s a nagging internal voice crying out, “what about all you’ve done!” As I hear that voice God I know You smile and give me a thumbs up.... Thank you!
Please continue to let Your Word transform my heart & mind. Help me come to you daily to be strengthen by you so that I can accomplish Your work Your ways.  I so quickly revert to my self tasking mode... help me.... pause and operate according to Your Word - producing the results that only come from You. Thank You for YOUR truth that sets me free. Help me. It’s for Your beautiful name I pray. - Trevor




Your thoughts?
webservices@drinenfamily.org 
http://www.drinenfamily.org/drinenfamily.org/Journal_-_TD/Entries/2012/2/10_Bring_it!_Strength_translates_to_growth..html


No comments:

Post a Comment