Monday, August 8, 2011

Anger & Stones Require A Response

Today’s reading: John 10 NIV
SCRIPTURE
“.... picked up stones to stone him.” -John 10:31 NIV

OBSERVATION
As I visualize this setting - I see a group of local church members emotionally moved to the point of physical aggression over a statement. 

Why were these individuals angered to the point of possible murder? 

33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

Jesus replied to them, “Why do you accuse me of blasphemy? Because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

Why, are religious individuals so quick to take up arms?  Why, is it that religious individuals are often the quickest to unleash judgement?  Why, are these individuals so closed off to Jesus’ words? 

What is Jesus physical response in the midst of a heated situation?

”39 he escaped their grasp. 40 Then Jesus went back across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing in the early days. There he stayed, 41 and many people came to him. They said, “Though John never performed a sign, all that John said about this man was true.” 42 And in that place many believed in Jesus.” - John 10:39-42
APPLICATION
God what do You want me walk away with?

Discussions with closed minded religious individuals are not beneficial (which I can not exclude myself f/ being).
Be mindful of people’s statements & body language within communication.
Wisely choose your battles.
Know when to withdraw.

Sometimes I’m so right I’m wrong.
Always be willing to learn.
Ask good questions (internally & externally).
Internally:
Why is it so important to prove my point?
Why am I so angered by these responses / questions / statements?
Externally (listening, processing, & responding):
Listening - The most important apart of being able to ask a good question.
Processing - Seeing things from their perspective & then forming a question.
Responding - Not out of an emotional state, but in response to the question at hand.
God is still God no matter how the discussion ends.

PRAYER
Jesus, I find myself grateful that you meet me where I’m at.  That you speak directly to my heart & situation.  It seems that as I slow down to read Your read - it reads me.  Help me daily make time for that which is most important - TIME W/ YOU.  So that, You can refine and guidance my heart & mind. Thank you for surrounding me with a few key individuals over the past several years (Aaron O., Brett H., Kiha P., Ben H., Pastor Wayne C) to assist me in processing Your truth in the midst of it being hard to hear. Thanks G. - Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment