Thursday, August 4, 2011

What Do I Get Out Of This? (Initial Questions)

Today’s reading: Isaiah 8,9,19 & Hebrews 8 NASB
SCRIPTURE
“For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices; so it is necessary that this high priest also have something to offer.” -Hebrews 8:3 NASB
OBSERVATION
1) Who is the high priest? 2) What does this priest have to offer me?
Let’s dig and go back a few days. Hebrew 5:1-10  “Every high priest is selected from among the people and is appointed to represent the people in matters related to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness. This is why he has to offer sacrifices for his own sins, as well as for the sins of the people.  And no one takes this honor on himself, but he receives it when called by God, just as Aaron was. In the same way, Christ did not take on himself the glory of becoming a high priest. But God said to him, “You are my Son; today I have become your Father.” And he says in another place, “You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek. In the days of His flesh, He offered up both prayers and supplications with loud crying and tears to the One able to save Him from death, and He was heard because of His piety. Although He was a Son, He learned obedience from the things which He suffered. And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation, being designated by God as a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.”
  1. Jesus Christ became the high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.
Who is Melchizedek and how can Jesus legitimately become our high priest through this order? Old Testament priests descend from only one linage - the tribe of Levi. Jesus’ ancestral tree places Him in the tribe of Judah; which, disqualifies him for priesthood.  Why would God role things out this way?  
I could only locate (1) one passage that refers to Melchizedek in the Old Testament: Genesis 14:18 references to him as “King of Salem”.  Okay, let go New Testament: Hebrews 7:3 describes him “without genealogy.”  It leaves me to conclude: A) This guy came out of nowhere, or B) he was conceived by the will of the Force like Anakin Skywalker, or (C) His genealogy records were misplaced and he had no memory of his parents.   Apparently, God doesn’t like to be boxed in and is not always looking for smooth waters to navigate as the book of Hebrews makes tremendous waves in logical processing.  I mean, how can the New Testament and Hebrews reasonably claim Jesus as our priest if the Old Testament allow doesn’t allow it? 
Let’s go Hebrew 7:12, “For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also. 13 For the one concerning whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe....”  Okay, I guess God has the right to modify or change things up; however, this Melchizedek tosses a huge question into my skeptics mindset. It would’ve been a lot to both logically connect and sell if Jesus had been from the tribe of Levi as this is a pivotal point. I mean, this is why the Jews did not and do not recognize Jesus Levitical or “priestly” authority.  
Bottom line: According to the law, Jesus is from the wrong tribe to be a priest.  He has the wrong lineage.  On top of that, his priest hood is in the order of Melchizedek, a fantom or mystery man who lives before the law.  
Conclusion: The Law and the Old Testament do not jive / mix with Jesus and the New Testament.  Since I can’t make Jesus fit with the old way of the law - what do I get out of this now?
APPLICATION
What’s my take (aka. what I get out of this). 1) My performance is no longer a primary point. 2) My name is not on the contract.  According to Hebrews 8:8 under the old way, “God found fault with the people” and under the new way, God makes a promise to Himself (see Hebrews 6:1-19).  Bottom line application: My salvation and my faithfulness are all about Him and is not something I can loose because Jesus has paid (past, present, & future) the price - unreal concept.
PRAYER 
God for years I’ve been told that I am at the central point of this equation: “Must live a certain way,” “Must do...” And I find myself never done striving, always attempting to level up, and continually falling short - ending with complete frustration.  This morning I am reminded that Your ways are higher than mine.  Via Jesus, this is all about You!  And Your way allow me to embark on a lifelong journey of developing a genuine relationship with Jesus without religions “to do...,” “must hold to...,” etc... list.  Help me.  Help individuals.  Help the church at large.  This is huge! And even some what hard for me to completely fathom all I now get out of this Jesus thing!!!! What freedom!!!!  - Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment