Monday, August 15, 2011

A Sons Prayer

Today’s reading: John 17 NASB
SCRIPTURE
“....I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.” -John 17:20-21 NASB

OBSERVATION
As I read Jesus’ prayer this morning - I visualized an intimate conversation between a Son and a Father about me (us).  This morning, I find myself once again honestly amazed at the love Jesus has for me (us)!

“I (Jesus Christ / God’s Son) have made Your (God) name know to them (me / you / humanity), and will make it known, so that, the love with which You (God) loved Me (Jesus Christ / God’s Son) may be in them (humanity), and I in them.” - John 17:26

Jesus wants me to know & experience un-tampered, un-twisted - genuine pure love!  Not only does Jesus want me to know & experience it - He desires to this love to “be in” me!

Questions?
1) Why was this particular prayer recorded / documented and not others?
I don’t know. How could every single prayer Jesus said be recorded?

2) How is this prayer relevant to me today?
An individual(s) (God & Jesus) heart reviled through a relational conversation.

“.... to all (humanity: you & me) whom You (God) have given Him (Jesus Christ / God’s son), He (Jesus Christ / God’s son) may give eternal life.” - John 17:2 NASB

3)  What is eternal life according to the text?
“This is eternal life, that they (humanity: you & me) may know You (God), the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You (God) have sent.” - John 17:3 NASB

Bottom line: Eternal life is ‘knowing God.’

4) How does Jesus “give eternal life”?
“I (Jesus Christ / God’s son) glorified You (God) on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do.” - John 17:4 NASB
Jesus accomplished his assignment from God daily & through his death.
Daily: 1) Obedience established through a genuine relationship / love.
Through his death: 1) Fulfillment of Old Testament. 2) Establishment of New Way.
What is this “New Way”?
Grace based faith mixed with obedience founded through relationship / love.

5) How is does Jesus communicate “eternal life” to others?
“.... the words which You (God) gave Me (Jesus Christ / God’s son) I have given to them; and they received them & truly understood that I came forth from You, & they believed that You sent Me.” - John 17:8 NASB
First, Jesus learns from God.
Then Jesus communicates things verbally to others.  A.K.A. Shares HIs knowledge via life.

APPLICATION
This morning, I find myself reminded of the importance of slowing down to listen.  Allowing God’s word to read me verse merely checking it off my “to do” list. 

Why is it important to slow down?
Time is a critical element in listening to a story, processing a story, responding to a story, and effectively communication a story to another.

Is my time with God priority / valued?
Where do I spend my time?  Where is my money being spent?

PRAYER
Jesus, thank you for taking the time to speak to my heart & engage my mind.  I find myself grateful that you meet me where I’m at.  That you speak directly to my heart & situation.  It seems that as I slow down to read Your read - it reads me.  Help me daily make time for that which is most important - TIME W/ YOU.  So that, You can refine and guidance my heart & mind. Thanks G. - Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment