Thursday, August 4, 2011

What Do I Get Out Of This?

Today’s reading: Isaiah 11,12,13,14; Hebrews 9 NASB
SCRIPTURE
“when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.” -Hebrews 9:11-12 NASB
OBSERVATION
As I read Hebrews 9 three words stood out above the rest, “...when Christ came...” What pivotal words!  It’s here I began to ponder, “How often is this critical transition in my mind and heart not made?”
What transition? A transition from the Old to the New.  A transition from the way things were pre Cross to the way things are post Cross! A transition that effects my entire being and that starts within my mind (logic) and heart (emotion).
Let’s go Hebrews 9:16-17, “For where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it. For a covenant is valid only when men are dead, for it is never in force while the one who made it lives.” 
The terms covenant, will, and testament are translations of the same Greek word. The writer is drawing an analogy between a WILL or covenant taking effect - this a basic play on words serves to make an critical point! A will isn’t in effect without a death - a covenant doesn’t go into effect without a death. What does this mean?
Meaning the New Covenant did not begin at Jesus’ birth but as he died / at his death. This point carries some radical implications - as it messes with our thinking. First the New Testament does not actually begin in Matthew 1. It begins at the point in history when Jesus’ died on the cross & when he came back to life. It’s was not Jesus birth that changed everything. It was his death that inspired the apostles to declare the message of “out with the old, and in with the new.” - Hebrews 8 & 9
Let’s go Hebrews 10:9-10
“He takes away the first in order to establish the second. By this will we have been sanctified (made in right 
standing) through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” - Hebrews 10:9-10
The first or OLD covenant was set aside because it made no one right before God. It was a performance based system that everyone failed or fell short of the standard. I mean if you ever tried to please everyone? How incredible overwhelming.  For that reason, Jesus took away the old and made it obsolete. Why? Because of the burden, weight, or headache it causes. The Old has been set aside.
APPLICATION
So where do I go from here?  What do I get out of this process?  What can I walk away with?
Yesterday’s reading in Hebrews 8:13 stated:
When He said, “A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.
And then I read two days ago - Hebrews 7:18-19
“For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former covenant because of its weakness and uselessness (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.
What does the writer of Hebrews say? The Old is “weak and useless” in it’s attempt to make us right before God.
Wow!  Then when I’m feeling distant from God, it’s because I’ve measured myself and have come up short.  Aka: God no longer measures me or my performance, but He simply desires to do life with me!!! He desires to cultivate a genuine, growing, organic, relationship with me. No expectations / strings attached! Pure... Unreal!!!
PRAYER 
God, as a new triathlete and thirty-five year old male I see the importance of transitions. Yet, I still hear echos that “I must live a certain way,” “I must do certain things.” Today find myself dumbfounded or amazed that You desire a relationship with me above everything! Something continues internally screams their has to be more! What and why?  I’m not sure. Is the bottom line: A genuine relationship with Jesus plus nothing? This is huge! Help me make this transition mentally because I’m hung up within various aspect of the old testament - of the previous things I have been taught - and now I find myself in need of unlearning things learned.  Wow! What freedom!!!! Thank God!!!!  - Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment