Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Questions in the midst of pain


Today’s reading: John 11 NIV
SCRIPTURE
When Mary arrived & saw Jesus, she fell at his feet & said, “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died.” - John 11:32
OBSERVATION
The situation was not looking very promising for a man by the name of Lazarus. He was ill, & there were no doctors, treatments, or medicine that could remedy his ailments. It appeared as though his condition was worsening, & it was only a matter of time before this sickness would ultimately take his life. 
His two sisters, Mary & Martha, had seen Jesus heal others, so they sent word to him in hopes that something could be done. I’m sure that in this urgent situation they hoped Jesus would drop everything he was doing & come to Lazarus’ aid immediately, but we find him staying where he was for two more days. 
Didn’t Jesus care? Didn’t Jesus value Lazarus? Why would he delay? Doesn’t he realize the urgency of the situation? 
Lazarus died before Jesus returned to Judea, & Mary & Martha were devastated. From their perspective, it appeared as though Jesus had failed them, as all their eyes could see was Lazarus’ death, all their ears could hear was the absence of his voice, & all their hearts could feel was the hurt & pain of their loss. 
We find Mary responding, as I would have.... in the midst of pain - questioning, hurting, & frustrated. 
I thought you cared? I thought you considered him a friend? Why did you delay coming?  Why did you allow this bad thing to happen? 
Mary saw an insurmountable obstacle, & Jesus saw an impending opportunity to bring glory to God. Jesus, the Giver of Life, entered the tomb that had held Lazarus’ dead body for 4 days, called out to him, & Lazarus rose in life & strength. The on-lookers encountered the Divine that day, & many believed, transforming their eternities.
APPLICATION
Have you ever had questions in the midst of pain?  Have you ever questioned God? 
I know I have. 
There have been times of heartache where I’ve asked God “WHY!?”, times of disappointment where I’ve questioned His plan, & times of frustration where I’ve questioned His timing. 
It’s human nature to allow what we see with our eyes & the emotions of our heart to dictate our perspective. Which ultimate breeds doubt & fear. 
God had a perfect plan far greater than what Mary & Martha understood.  This plan was founded on flawless wisdom & outside two sisters optimal timing. 
Last night was able to watch the movie “The Soul Surfer”.  The movie tells the true story of Bethany Hamilton, a teenage girl with a love of surfing in her heart & a passion for God in her soul. Following a devastating shark attack, her arm was lost. She would live, but life would never be the same. The tasks which were once effortless now seemed impossible, & she found herself having troubles peeling an orange.  Bethany eventually hit bottom emotionally & started asking difficult questions.  “Why God would allow this to happen?” “If He works all things for good - where is ‘good’ in her loosing her arm?” The pastor shared that she didn’t know his plan.  
Bethany persevered & has won a junior surfing championship & been used by God to inspire millions of people. 
Why would God allow this to happen? 
John 11:4 gives us a hint, “…it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this.” God receives great glory when his children stand in faith & obedience in the face of difficult circumstances. 
My default should be trusting our God who is in control of everything, which breeds hope & joy. He is more than able to handle any, & every, circumstance that I’m. Beyond that, He is love, & He cares for me more than I will ever comprehend. 
We serve a God who is worthy of our faith & trust, as His plans are perfect, His wisdom is flawless, & His timing is optimal at all times! Because of this, I will choose to stand in hope & trust no matter what comes my way.
PRAYER 
Jesus, despite my confusion, my frustration, my anger I find myself grateful that you meet me where I’m at.  For the last few years, I’ve felt as if I wiped out surfing and was caught underneath the wave - tumbling - flighting - bouncing off the ocean floor. God, help me relax & trust... Help me float to the surface & paddle out once again to boldly ride a wave once again.  - Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment