Thursday, January 2, 2014

Do Tell: What inspired you in 2013?

In order for me to ask you, "Who / What inspired you most in 2013?"  I think it only fair that I would reply first.
Who / What inspired me most in 2013?
(1) My wife
Why? Over the past years she has dealt with various severe degrees of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) after killing a high school classmate in a car accident.  During 2013 she overcame: med issues, thought patterns, and now is starting to write!  Not only has she become an amazing writer (soulremedies.net) , she developed a island wide recognition for her hand crafted pottery (raineorshinepottery); while, caring for myself or the needs of our three kids!
(2) My kids
Why? Each of them have been one of my greatest teachers over this past year.  They have each reminded me how to play, have fun, and DEEPLY enjoy the moment I am in.  They have also reminded me the need to remain teachable, ask more questions, seek to understand vs to be understood, and to never quit despite the odds. 
(3) My dad
Why? At 73 he is willing to pull up his roots, take a chance, and roll the dice of life by pursuing dreams and relocating. 
(4) My brother
Why? He has transformed himself from a strong round man into a triathlete that is Ironman bound!  How? Through daily mental, emotional, and physical choices / training.  His actions have inspired me to the degree I've often said, "If he can do it so can I " and now find myself saying, "if one man can do it so can I."   
(5) Nelson Mandela
Why? In a society that often define leadership through successes and results Nelson Mandela's words have penetrated the core of who I am as I daily try to live them out. "It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership." - Nelson Mandela  Does leadership have to be one individual or point person?  Can leadership be defined as a team? Is leadership defined by western cultural successes? Questions, questions, questions....  
(6) Fizzle & Corbett Barr
Why? The team at Fizzle and Corbett Barr are down to earth and passionate about creating a place for creative entrepreneurs, writers, makers, coders and artists, to be able to support themselves independently on the Internet - they openly share failures, struggles, and wisdom.
(7) Team Hoyt
Why? Inspiration! Team Hoyt is an inspirational story of Dick Hoyt, and his son, Rick, who compete together in marathons and triathlons across the country.  They strives to help those who are physically disabled become active members of the community. 
(8) Movies: A Warrior's Heart, Anger Managment, Blue Like Jazz, Drift, Freedom Writers, Forever Strong, Into the Wild, King's Speech, The Way, The Hammer, Radio, Rudy, The 5th Quarter, Warrior, 
Why? Inspirational true stories: fighting to survive despite the challenges life tosses at them.
Now it's your turn!  Weather it one or a list, "Who / What inspired me most in 2013?"

No comments:

Post a Comment